NAMED LOGS

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jul 23 04:42:44 UTC 2013

In message <51EDE640.8040506 at uni-due.de>, =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Matth=E4us_Wander?= w
rites:
> * Mark Andrews [2013-07-23 03:36]:
> > How do you do that with a broken delegation?   Did you think to ask
> > before delegating a zone to a zone not configured for it?  What
> > does your Chancellor think about using uninformed third parties for
> > experiments like this?
>
> The method is described here (Figure 4):
> http://homes.cs.washington.edu/~gribble/papers/king.pdf
>
> Using a delegation is a technical detail. It's not different than
> sending a query directly to the zone servers.

Send queries for domains that the server is NOT configured to accept
is very different to sending queries for domains the server IS
configured to accept.

You just cost the rw adminstrators time and money investigation the
source of unexpected traffic.  You cost everyone on the list some
time and money helping out the rw administrators.

The actual cost of the traffic in inconsequential to the other costs
that have resulted from your actions.  TLD administrators actually
need to look for abnormal traffic as they are high value targets.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org