BIND Service Hung

Mike Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Wed Jul 3 16:48:38 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----

From: <Novosielski>, Ryan <novosirj at ca.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:38 PM
To: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar at fantomas.sk>
Cc: "bind-users at lists.isc.org" <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
Subject: Re: BIND Service Hung

>On 07/03/2013 05:09 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> On 03.07.13 09:33, Arie Lendra Putra wrote:
>>> Now the problem is sometimes (not quite often, just seldomly)
>>> Named on one of this server is just plain not responding, the
>>> process is still there but just not responding to any queries,
>>> when this happened the only way to revive it is to kill the PID
>>> and restart the named service, plain service named restart not
>>> working.
>>>
>>> and nothing on logs.
>>>
>>> What seems to be the problem, is it because the bind version is
>>> too outdated?
>>
>> most probably. get a newer version within your package
>> distribution, or try to upgrade the system if you can.
>
>I don't think there is any evidence whatsoever that points in that
>direction.

sure but even in the commercial world, typical support model says
"reproduce with latest version" -- even moreso with OSS.  if you have a
problem an on ancient version, there are too many variables.  reproduce on
an updated system and you are more likely to get help.  not a perfect
answer, but quite common.  ultimately it is your problem so others might
help but impetus ultimately yours.  you really want to run an updated
version anyway, have you read the CVEs?  :-)