Reverse address entries

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Tue Jul 2 19:58:44 UTC 2013

On 02/07/13 21:02, Eduardo Bonsi wrote:
> I have been reading all your concerns about reverse FQDNS. In my
> example, we are a very small firm and I am the IT network admin
> responsible for configuring our server. One of the reasons I
> configured our server was because we deal with Photography, graphic
> design and occasionally presentations of Movies. These are fat files
> that are not viable to send thru emails. Our setup is far from being
> perfect and does not follow the ISC BIND advised rules of how I would
> like to follow to run a proper server. Like two different networks,
> one ip address for every ns.mydomain.com and web services and so
> forth. Believe me, I would love to do that if I had the budget for it.
> Therefore, that is not really my decision but it falls under the way
> my ISP charges $$$ for each ip address and reverse setup.
Well, that means your setup is ok, lookups will go like this:
1 - your.mail.server -> some IP
2 - some IP -> a name in your ISP's DNS, typically very generic like
2-45-231-6-isp-dynamic-pool.xxxxxx
3 - 2-45-231-6-isp-dynamic-pool.xxxxxx -> back to "some IP".

The fact that numbers 2) and 3) match and could be done more times if
needed, is what SMTP is looking for. Hence you are not deemed to be a
spammer on that account.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen