Discover Unreferenced Zones/Records

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Mon Jul 1 11:13:27 UTC 2013

There might be some zones that are rarely used, you may see those as
dead using that method.

I was thinking of a script that would take your list of zones
(essentially the .conf file) and for each zone do something like a "dig
+trace" and look for whether your servers are listed as name servers for
that zone.

Those you are no longer listed in can be removed immediately, those
where you are listed but has no or very little traffic, you can make
inquiries about and act accordiingly.

Just my 0.02EUR

On 01/07/13 13:04, Bryan Harris wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have discovered that we have an excessive amount of old zones not
> being used.  Is there a trick, or a simple way to determine which
> zones have not been referenced in a long time?
>
> My best guess is to simply log queries and read the log files.  Would
> that be the recommended way?
>
> Our intent is to delete everything we don't need.
> Bryan

Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting: