TKEY and zone transfer

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Jan 29 10:39:44 UTC 2013

In message <CAKs98dGEcc27tdg0+DtvOJbvVEof1X+MMuki_tZ5TaZ2ooDfqQ at mail.gmail.com>
, Kent Tong writes:

> Hi,
>
> I read that Bind9 supports using TKEY for zone transfers. However, I don't
> understand how the TKEY negotiation is triggered. In comparison, for
> dynamic updates, the update-policy will require Bind to determine the
> identity of the requester, but for zone transfer there is only a
> allow-transfer which takes an address_match_list only.

I think you mean TSIG rather than TKEY.  Address match lists support
the use of keys.

   address_match_list = address_match_list_element ;
      [ address_match_list_element; ... ]
   address_match_list_element = [ ! ] (ip_address [/length] | key key_id |
			               acl_name | { address_match_list } )

master:
key "mykey" { algorithm hmacmd5; secret "afasfasfasfasdfsad"; };

zone "example.net" {
	type master;
	allow-transfer { key mykey; };
	file "example.net";
};

slave:
key "mykey" { algorithm hmacmd5; secret "afasfasfasfasdfsad"; };

zone "example.net" {
	type slave;
	file "example.net";
	masters { 1.2.3.4 key mykey; };