BIND 9.9.3b1 is now available

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Fri Jan 25 23:13:28 UTC 2013

On 25-Jan-13 17:32, Michael McNally wrote:
>   BIND 9.9.3b1 is the first beta release of BIND 9.9.3.
>
>     Makes available a new XML schema (version 3.0) for the statistics
>     channel that adds query type statistics at the zone level,
>     flattens the XML tree and uses compressed format to optimize
>     parsing. It also includes new XSL that permits charting via the
>     Google Charts API on browsers that support javascript in XSL.
>     To enable, build BIND with "configure --enable-newstats". [RT
>     #30023]
>
> (c) 2001-2013 Internet Systems Consortium

2 bits of feedback on the beta announcement:

I have software that reads the stats channel.

Please, if you have a new schema, put it on another URI so that software
that wants the old schema gets it, and software that wants the new
explicitly requests it.  E.g.  '/statistics/v3'

Flag day changes are not good...

I also have a patch that provides just the config data on another URI
(/config)  - which I wish you'd accept in some form - it's very useful
for management software that doesn't want to parse all the stats (which
in perl takes forever), but does want the list of zones served.   I sent
it to you folks quite some time ago (and could resend).

Since you're obviously in the code, would you re-consider this? It's
pretty straightforward, it simply selects a subset of the data in the
(then-) existing flow.

Thanks on both counts.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer