Define an internal zone with only a couple of A records, then forward to an external dns server

Alberto Zanon alberto.zanon at edistar.com
Thu Jan 17 15:09:00 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I googled all the morning without success :( I'm using Bind 9.9.1 and i'm a newbie of Bind. This is my goal:

- I want to define in my dns server a zone "external_partner.com", which is the domain of our partner who manages it with his dns public server "dns.external_partner.com".
- I need to define into this zone a couple of servers ("vpn_host_1. external_partner.com ", " vpn_host_2. external_partner.com ") because we connect via vpn to our partner.
- I want that the rest of the names, e.g. "www.external_partner.com", are resolved forwarding the requests to the dns of our partner.

I tried this without success:

- in "named.conf":

zone " external_partner.com " { type master; file "master/ external_partner.com .zon"; forwarders {xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;}; };

and I have "recursion yes" in the options.

- in " external_partner.com .zon" I have only the two entries:

$TTL 300
@ IN SOA dns.edistar.com. admin.dns.edistar.com. (
2013011701 ; Serial
300 ; Refresh
300 ; Retry every hour
300 ; Expire after a week
300 ) ; Minimum ttl of 1 day

IN NS dns.edistar.com.
TXT "vpn servers"

vpn_host_1. external_partner.com . IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
vpn_host_2. external_partner.com . IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I read about "forward first" option but is the opposite of my goal, correct?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Alberto Zanon