MNAME not a listed NS record

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Thu Jan 17 07:04:24 UTC 2013

On 1/16/2013 22:17, Jan-Piet Mens wrote:
>> Is there anything technically wrong with having a SOA MNAME field
>> that isn't listed as a NS record?
> Not at all; that works fine.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I wanted to confirm that this
particular "warning" didn't have any backing in reality.

>> Are there any operational gotchas to be aware of or can I ignore the
>> "warnings"?
> You should be aware of DNS Updates which will, by default, be directed
> at the server listed in SOA MNAME. If you don't do DHCP, say, then it's
> fine to ignore that.

At this point I don't do any dynamic DNS through BIND at all right now,
the only dynamic zones we currently host are internal-only on Microsoft
DNS and update via AD, so I think we'll be safe in this regard.

Thanks!

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/