lame-servers: error (FORMERR) resolving [something]

Shane Kerr shane at isc.org
Mon Jan 14 11:05:01 UTC 2013

Daniele,

It may be a simple case of your firewall not allowing any DNS queries
that do not request recursion. Difficult to know.

You may want to try:

dig +trace www.isc.org

This will follow the referrals from the root, and you can verify that
this works.

The next step may be to try:

dig +trace +dnssec www.isc.org

This will ask for DNSSEC, which will mean enabling EDNS0 and getting
bigger response packets, both of which can cause problems with broken
middleboxes (although BIND 9 should work even in those cases).

Cheers,

--
Shane