gitnamed, a project to manage name server by git

Mike Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Tue Jan 8 21:48:52 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----

From: Jan-Piet Mens <jpmens.dns at gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:35 PM
To: "bind-users at lists.isc.org" <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
Subject: Re: gitnamed, a project to manage name server by git

>> GitNamed is a project that manage name server by git. you can clone
>> the git repo to any workstation, edit zone file, commit and push it.
>> the data will push to the master and slave name server on the fly.
>
>Very interesting; thanks for sharing.
>
>I hear the Fedora Project does something along similar lines. Code &
>'docs' are at [1].
>
>        -JP
>
>[1] http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/infra/dns/README

Thanks for sharing both.

Like the built-in sanity checks...Wonder why the fedora folks don't
automate the serial number update, since in my experience that seems to be
one of the top silly mistakes with BIND updates?

Our push process sets that to the mtime of the zone for non-dynamic zones,
which seems to work well except for the occasional DNS validation tool
baulking that we're not using YYYYMMDDNN format.  :-)