set directory for "auto" key files

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jan 7 14:57:16 UTC 2013

On 07/01/13 14:31, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running BIND 9.9 on FreeBSD.
>
> named wants to write managed-keys.bind & the journal file in named's
> root directory. I can change that with the "directory" option, but
> then I have to move all the other directories. Company security policy
> is that named may not do that.
>
> Is there an option that tells named to "write your internal key &
> journal files to location X, but don't change where I've put
> everything else."

For the managed keys:

  managed-keys-directory "/var/named/data/dynamic";

As for journal files, they are usually written "next" to the zone; often
the zone is in a sub-directory of the working dir:

  zone "foo" {
    type master;
    # journal will be $NAMED_ROOT/data/zones/foo/zone.jnl
    file "data/zones/foo/zone";
  };

I've never tried it but there's a "journal" option on the zone; maybe
this takes paths, like so:

  zone "foo" {
    type master;
    # zone lives outside working dir
    file "/etc/zones/foo";
    # ...but journal lives inside it
    journal "data/journals/foo";
  };

Note: I've never tested this; it is a wild guess.