Distribute named.conf

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Jan 3 15:57:50 UTC 2013

On Jan 3, 2013, at 9:44 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 03/01/13 14:36, Warren Kumari wrote:
>
>> Yup, have a look at Puppet.
>>
>> For the first while it will seem like way way more work than it is
>> worth (and the whole declarative language bit makes my head hurt) but
>> after investing a few hours getting things setup you'll wonder how
>> you ever managed without it… Deploying a new server (or configs, etc
>> to a bunch of servers) suddenly becomes trivial...
>
> A bit OT, but we use cfengine (because puppet didn't exist when we started doing it), but I strongly endorse the general sentiment behind this statement; if you run any number of servers at all, a config management tool like puppet/cfengine will transform your working life.
>
>> Setup Puppet to distribute the file, and then have an exec action
>> that does: rndc addzone example.com '{type master; file
>> "master/example.com"; };'
>
> Does puppet provide built-in facilities to synchronise events across multiple servers, because that was a concern to the OP.

Oh, yeah, in my Puppet zealotry I forgot about that bit :-)

AFAIK Puppet doesn't natively support this, but on the few occasions I have needed to do something like this from Puppet I have done something a little clunky. It involves taking the time on the puppet master and then using that to schedule a job in N minutes from that time on all the boxes.

Something along the lines of:
AT_TIME=`date +"%H:%M %m/%d/%y" --date='$MASTER_TIME + 2 minutes'`; echo ' $SOME_COMMAND ' | at $AT_TIME

This *is* very clunky and so in a fit of pique I deleted it…

Eagles soar but a weasel will never get sucked into a jet engine