Distribute named.conf

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jan 3 11:40:31 UTC 2013

On 03/01/13 11:06, Joerg Stephan wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> we are currently using PowerDNS on our 12 Nameservers. Now we are
> thinking about a migration to bind.
>
> So we are seeking a way to distribute the named.conf.x for the
> several zonfiles. Currently this is solved by powerdns via mysql
> replication. Is there any tool in bind we could use. Generating the
> conf file and syncing via ssh/rsync is discussed on our side, and we
> hoped that there is a "nicer" way.

There are innumerable options for doing this. As written, the question
is way too vague - "how do I copy a file".

FWIW we use a cron job on the nameservers to pull a .csv file from a
master server, which builds the named.conf and does and "rndc reconfig"
(if it has changed). But there are many, many ways to do this...

> Many registrys are testing the dns server if the zone is available
> during the registration. Genrating the new files via cron would cause
> the registration to fail.

So don't use cron. Push the creation from a central server and then
register the domain.

You may also want to investigate "rndc addzone" in the new version of
bind. Something like:

# add the zone locally
rndc addzone ... "{ type master; allow-transfer ...; ...};"

# add zone on all slaves
for slave in server1 server2
do
   ssh root@$slave 'rndc addzone .. "{ type slave; master x.x.x.x; ...};'