Problems with resolving a local tld

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Thu Feb 28 17:57:20 UTC 2013

> From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>

> > Well one really shouldn't be creating one's own tlds.
>
> As the instigator and a co-author of rfc 1918, I beg to differ.

Many people considered the notion in RFC 1918 harmful.  See RFC 1627.
(My personal view was that standardizing the notion was better because
it would minimize the harm suffered and caused by those who were going
to use net-10 no matter what the other self-described experts, mavens,
and gurus said.)

>                                                                 Many
> have been using internal tlds for decades for various reasons. It works
> fine for the client going to the servers of the zone, but my namecaching
> server that is forwarding to same DNS server fails.

Many things have worked fine for decades, are popular, and are even
both popular and old.  Many of those old and popular things cause
significant harm to their perpetrators and to others and are just
plain stupid in almost all of their existing installations, such
as not following BCP 38 or running open DNS resolvers.

In other words, what does your private htt TLD do that could not be
done at least as well as a private, secret sub-domain of one of your
legitimate domains?

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com