Registrar that supports self-run domains and provides DNSSEC support

Mike Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Fri Feb 22 15:51:49 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----

From: Shawn Bakhtiar <shashaness at hotmail.com>
Date: Friday, February 22, 2013 12:06 AM
To: "bind-users at lists.isc.org" <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
Subject: RE: Registrar that supports self-run domains and provides
DNSSEC	support

>2) We don't buy or maintain street addresses from a for profit company,
>why should domain name be any different? Domain name registration should
>be a free government/ ma'bell function.

Being an outsider with no beef or raves for GD (just realized that sounds
like something else), I feel this isn't necessarily true.  Government
functions rarely get ran well, at least here in the US.  They're slow,
bloated, and tend to spend lots of tax dollars (not really free) producing
things hackers easily circumvent the day after release.

Also, in ma'bell (er um netsol?) fashion, lack of competition stifles
innovation.  Of course all the registrars don't do what any one of us
likes, but at least there is choice.  Lack of competition also tends to
drive price up vs down.

However, I'm not sure making choices based on "cheaper" and then
complaining about quality makes sense.  I'd like to think such gems could
exist, but it's certainly not illogical to expect problems from free
services with less money to devote to improving their infrastructure or
conducting R&D to adopt new technologies.

I know this last bit from experience, having worked at CELECs back in the
day and running an ISP that was severely underfunded because the Internet
was "new" and couldn't be trusted like a telephone.  Lots of committed
people working long hours for very little, but there's only so much you
can do with blood, sweat and tears.