Cannot create A record issue

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Feb 20 19:29:34 UTC 2013

On Feb 20, 2013, at 2:17 PM, Jsilliman <jsilliman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just changed the domain name in output.  If I do a dig on
>
> dig example.com
>
> ** Returns nothing.  I have to actually dig on ns1.example.com,
> www..., or mail...
>
> I am trying to add an A record (remote.example.com), and have it work...
>

> root at server1:/etc/bind# dig remote.example.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> remote.example.com
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 2650
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;remote.example.com.           IN      A
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> example.com.           9267    IN      SOA     ns1.example.com.
> root.localhost. 3 604800 86400 2419200 604800
>
> ;; Query time: 1 msec
> ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
> ;; WHEN: Wed Feb 20 11:13:45 2013
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 91

The serial number in the above is 3 -- the serial in the other examples was 10…

So, BIND is not picking up the changes you've made since #3…

If you run named-checkzone <zonename>  <filename>

does it give any errors?

Does rndc work?
If you run rndc reload <zone> does it fix things? Is there anything logged about not being able to read the file? or syntax errors?
If you restart BIND ?

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Alan Clegg <alan at clegg.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 20, 2013, at 2:06 PM, Jsilliman <jsilliman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Check this out:
>>>
>>> dig @localhost 69.62.x.x
>>>
>>> 10800   IN      SOA     a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com.
>>>

>>> Shouldn't this be going to my local server for SOA ?
>>>
>>> The issue is that when I create a new A record, such as,
>>> remote.example.com, I cannot do a dig on that record, only mx and ns
>>> records.
>>
>> You are using dig wrong.    try "dig @localhost -x 69.62.x.x"
>>
>> This, in addition, is unrelated to the question that you originally asked.
>>
>> Can you please provide FULL, un-edited, non-condensed output that shows the missing A record?
>>
>> AlanC
>> --
>> Alan Clegg | +1-919-355-8851 | alan at clegg.com

I had no shoes and wept.  Then I met a man who had no feet.  So I said, "Hey man, got any shoes you're not using?"