injecting a temp entry into dns cache

Veaceslav Revutchi slavarevutchi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 21:41:18 UTC 2013

There is a credit union website that our users access from work and
their dns has been broken for the past few days where the www. version
works,  but the plain name (without the www.) points to some old IP
that's not responding. Tried to call them and all I got was that they
know they have some kind of problem, but they ask users to type www.
in their browser until it's resolved.

In situations like this I would like to be able to inject an entry
into the cache on our recursive resolvers and point it to the correct
IP until the domain
owner fixes the problem (poison my own cache so to speak). Is this
something that can be done with bind without having to create a zone
for the broken domain and make our servers act as authoritative for
it?

Thank you,
Slava