rndc message format

cuiling zhang cathy.zhangcl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 08:08:31 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Recently I encounter some problems with rndc.

Output of rndc command:
rndc: connection to remote host closed
This may indicate that
* the remote server is using an older version of the command protocol,
* this host is not authorized to connect,
* the clocks are not synchronized, or
* the key is invalid.

Some information from bind documentation:
The clocks must be kept within 5 minutes of each other or the rndc commands
will fail
authentication.

Actually, the max tolerable time difference between rndc client and named
server is not 5 minutes.
I have a look at the packet using wireshark, and can't tell the differences
between the normal response and the deny response.

Could someone tell me the message format of rndc message?
Or how does the rndc client or the named server know the time difference
between them?
Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Cathy