dig ignores +notcp when doing IXFR (DiG 9.5.0-P2)

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Thu Dec 5 05:13:32 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-04, at 21:22 , Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> The options are processed left to right so the +notcp has to be
> after the ixfr=<serial>.

There are two reasons I don't understand why this is the case.

1) Since there is only one query in the command, I don't understand why "left to right" matters.  If you could do something like
dig IN IXFR=<serial> example.com +notcp IN A www.example.com +tcp
then sure.. because changing the order of options would be ambiguous, but you can't do that.

2) dig is generally very forgiving of argument order, so I don't see why the location of +notcp would be any different.

> dig +short @8.8.8.8 IN A cbc.ca
159.33.3.85

> dig @8.8.8.8 IN A cbc.ca +short
159.33.3.85

> dig IN A cbc.ca +short @8.8.8.8
159.33.3.85

> Note, named will for the use of TCP in its UDP response.

What verb is missing from this sentence?