Strange problem with a query deleting a record...

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Aug 25 02:02:35 UTC 2013

In article <mailman.1164.1377359473.20661.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 "Gordon A. Lang" <glang at goalex.com> wrote:

> Making some assumptions about where your dig queries are being sent, I would
> say it looks like the Squid is simply failing its DNS lookup (for whatever
> reason), then the Squid system is retaining a 5 minute negative cache.  If
> this is true, then the question would become why does the Squid system fail
> on that one lookups but (presumably) succeeds on others?

The reason is that squid is requesting AAAA records, and the broken DNS
server (a load balancer, probably) is responding with NXDOMAIN instead
of NOERROR.

Maybe there's a configuration option in squid that tells it not to try
to use IPv6, so it won't request AAAA records.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA