Reinstall after modifying

Maria bind-lists at iano.org
Wed Aug 21 21:18:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 08:18:36PM +0200, Jan-Piet Mens wrote:
> > how can I install bind as a named server after I have made my
> > modification to it's source code without using "yum"
>
> First you ./configure, specifying the options you want to use; pay
> particular attention to installation paths. (The best way to determine
> how your existing BIND was configured is to locate a SRC RPM file and
> look at its .spec file and patches.)
>
> Then you `make'. If all goes well, you either `make install', in which
> case the files and programs are copied to the paths you specified in the
> first step, or if you just want to test `named', you can run
> `bin/named/named' from the top-level directory of the source
> distribution.
>
>         -JP

Don't forget to exclude the bind packages in yum.conf or it will be
overwritten in an update.

If you do this for the same reason as I do, to get the pre-made
/var/named/chroot directory, then you might like this. After the server
is first built, I move /var/named/chroot out of harms way and remove all
the bind packages. Then I put it back and can make my own bind
installation with whatever paths I like.

Maria