The Path of source code

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Aug 21 20:35:55 UTC 2013

On Aug 21, 2013, at 4:27 PM, Nidal Shater <ngiw2012 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have installed BIND by using the command " yum install bind" in "centos6.3",what is the location(path) of the  source code  and espically the ".c" files on my filesystem

Yeah, if you did 'yum install bind' then you probably don't have the source installed -- it simply installed the binaries.

What I would suggest is downloading and installing from source instead. You will need a few prerequisites installed -- primarily gcc.
It is fairly simple…

I have a script that does (I have chopped out much of the unneeded stuff)

# Where to download and build…
BUILD_LOC=/usr/local/src/bind

echo -e "Installing needed packages...."
apt-get install gcc wget libssl-dev

echo -e "Going to download BIND $BIND_VER and build in $BUILD_LOC"
mkdir -p $BUILD_LOC
cd $BUILD_LOC/
wget --quiet ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/$BIND_VER/*.tar.gz

tar -xvzf bind-$BIND_VER*.gz
# Won't rm the directory :-P
rm bind-$BIND_VER*.gz
cd bind-$BIND_VER*

# Now make:
./configure --with-openssl=yes --with-randomdev=/dev/urandom --enable-threads

# Make
make
make install

/etc/init.d/named restart

STATUS=`dig www.example.com @localhost`
echo "Status: $STATUS"

> Nidal

I had no shoes and wept.  Then I met a man who had no feet.  So I said, "Hey man, got any shoes you're not using?"