Reverse Records on a leash?

Eduardo Bonsi beartcom at pacbell.net
Sat Aug 10 17:26:52 UTC 2013

> On 09.08.13 17:44, Eduardo Bonsi wrote:
>> I would like to know why we are treat like a dog on a leash when the
>> question is to reverse our DNS ip address to a FQDN of our choices
>> since our account is already assigned to us by our ISP?
>
> i don't understand your question.
Sorry Matus, I thought it was clear!

>> 000.000.000.000.in-addr.arpa. 7200 IN PTR yourdomain.com.
>>
>> yourdomain.com.    IN A  000.000.000.000
>
> however, reverse DNS records must not be zero-filled (those won't be taken
> into account)
I put zeros just as an example.
it can be 111.111.111.111 where 1= (any ipv4 number) or
000.000.000.000. where 0 is (any ipv4 number).

>> Is there a way to get around that without have to ask our ISP to
>> reverse it? Can we use CNAMES for that?
>
> I'm afraid but it's your ISP who must set up reverse records or delegate
> them to you.  Unless you have IP range allocated from regional internet
> registry.
Yes, I know that and this is my problem!
Why should we be subjected to the ISP for reverse when we already have a
static ip and are paying for the internet account, that by the way it is
not cheap or catered to small business?

Can we just CNAME whatever reverse they have there like;

000.000.000.000.someISP.net. IN CNAME  mydomain.com.

Is that cause a technical issue according to BIND?

I thought I read somewhere you cannot CNAME under certain rules.
Is this one of them?

--
Eduardo Bonsi
System - Network Admin