NS geo-distribution

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Tue Apr 30 04:01:41 UTC 2013

Thoughts about how to best distribute NS servers hosting authoritative
data for our zones? We currently host only about 300 zones so all zones
live on all 3 servers but we're looking at replacing 1-2 of our NS
servers due to reliability of the current servers.

My thinking is to just pick three sites in Canada/US with good
connectivity and host there, but I'm getting some pressure to pick a
location in EU as well.

With the vast majority of our customers being in North America (probably
75% of users are in Canada), would it make sense to add a Europe based
NS or would this tend to return slower results on average since a
potential user would have a 1/3 chance of hitting a NS with a higher
latency?

I realize that the difference isn't very significant in the grand scheme
of things, but it's always nice to shave a few ms off of initial page
load times.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/