ISC Courses

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Apr 26 18:54:34 UTC 2013

Years ago I used to work for a training company so I will go ahead and
try to answer this one for you.

The training company is not like a grocery store where they have a
steady stream of customers.  They are all feast or famine companies.
Some months there's new software releases and everyone wants training
and all of their trainers are busy.  Other months it's dead and their
trainers are sitting around doing research or other stuff that isn't
revenue generating.

It's not like the training company can just lay off their teachers
when there are no classes.  That happened at the one training company I
worked at (as a trainer), and since the company gave me
no assurances they would rehire (we will hire you back -if- we get
some classes) I said screw it and started looking and within 3 weeks
had another job.  (If you ever want something on your resume that will
guarantee you an interview, get hired to teach a class)  As did the
other trainers who were laid off.  For a trainer to lay off it's
trainers is equivalent to Intel laying off it's CPU designers - those
are the people making the gold, you get rid of them and you have
nothing.  Intel will sacrifice everyone else in the company before
they touch those people, and a well run training company will do
the same for it's trainers.

So, the training companies often have months during the year that they
are paying teacher salaries and there's no classes bringing in the
money.  So, when they do get classes, the class has to not only pay the
salary of the trainer who is teaching it, it has to pay the salary of
that same trainer for the rest of the year that he's not doing anything.

Obviously a lot of training companies try to use part timers.  That
works if your teaching something like how to use Microsoft Word or
Excel.  But nobody who really knew anything about Bind would tolerate
that sort of stuff - either you hire them full time or get the $uc$
out of the business.

Frankly, it is possible to self train on this stuff so you have to
look at how much time that you save by taking a class vs buying the
book and doing it yourself.  If your cost to your company is $80 an
hour and you can do the book in 40 hours (1 week) and take the class
and get trained in 20 hours - well right there that $1795 is a wash.
Meaning that if the class saves your company 22 hours then it's cost
them the same to send you to class vs paying you the extra time to
learn it yourself is the same.

Ted Mittelstaedt
Internet Partners, Inc.