BIND 9.4.x and check-names

Ben-Eliezer, Tal (ITS) Tal.Ben-Eliezer at its.ny.gov
Thu Apr 18 12:35:00 UTC 2013

>Isn't it time to upgrade?

Yes, it is. In fact, adding these statements to the options clause is in preparation for our migration to a later version.
It seems from my testing that while BIND 9.4 was very passive about these type of records, and would load a zone despite "illegal chars", later versions of BIND would actually fail to start. This is a fundamental difference between BIND 9.4 and 9.7.3, for example.
I am dealing with about 14 BIND servers so the more preparation steps I can take prior to cutover, the better.

> bind 9.4 has also "check-names response";

Ok, I'm reading up on that now. Should I be able to suppress the logging using:
"check-names response ignore;" ?

Thanks