ANNOUNCEMENT: New BIND versions are available.

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sat Apr 13 13:35:14 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 09:34:02PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Given the following:
>
> 1. bind-announce is very low volume, and carries only critical
> information that the community needs to know
> 2. Currently all posts to bind-announce are duplicated to the
> other lists
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to 'sort -u' the membership of the 3 lists,
> call that the new bind-announce, and give people a 1-time message
> about how to unsubscribe if they don't want to be there?
>
> I applaud ISC's desire to not subscribe people to lists willy-nilly
> without their permission, but given the specific circumstances here
> you may have over-engineered the solution a bit. :)

I am subscribed to both lists with different addresses. But these
lists are delivered to different mailboxes. I wouldn't object to
Doug's idea, but herewith offer another one.

These announcements come in threes, usually, one for each active
branch of the BIND9 codebase. An executive summary of the three,
perhaps with links to the posts in the bind-announce web archive,
could be posted to the bind-users discussion list.

The benefit of seeing the announcements on the discussion list is
that in some cases discussion of the announcement itself might take
place.