clients-per-query

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Apr 10 14:50:46 UTC 2013

Dwayne Hottinger <dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us> wrote on 04/10/2013
10:27:24 AM:

> Sorry, My spambox grabbed your earlier reply, my apologies.    My
> clients are a mixed enviroment of macs,windows 7/xp, androids, etc.
>  At any one time I'll have over 3000 devices connected to the
> network.  I actually have one internal dns server for internal
> network and 2 external dns servers.   I turned on logging for
> queries on all the dns servers and will monitor that. Im currently
> searching the logs to see if some clients query more than others to
> try and figure out if one is infected with somekind of malware.

3000 devices isn't much, even for a modest BIND server.  Did this
configuration work in the past?  What changed?  Is there a network rate
limiting device in place that could be affecting the queries to the
authoritative servers?  Have you talked to your networking team?  They
would never make changes without informing, I'm sure.  :)

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.