Simple question about zone and CNAME

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Apr 8 14:15:25 UTC 2013

On 08/04/13 14:46, Sam Wilson wrote:
> In article <mailman.59.1365230565.20661.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
>   Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Sam Wilson <Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> [adding an A record for ed.ac.uk.]
>>>

>> If your AD realm is also called ed.ac.uk then adding an A record will
>> definitely affect things.
>
> Which is exactly the opposite of what our AD guys said, but not with
> such great conviction.  :-)

Off the top of my head the two most recent issues we've had.

1. If you don't have a domain controller A record at your AD realm name,
you'll experience sporadic timeouts and slowness if you ever want to
roll out DFS, particularly if your domain members include non-Microsoft
clients such as Macs

2. If you put something else at that place, you'll see SMB connection
attempts and if they fail but port 80 is open, you'll see Windows trying
to do WebDAV requests (!) to it.

Both these and other issues make me wish we'd chosen a sub-domain for
our AD realm when we migrated from NT4. But we had no way of knowing at
the time :o(