Simple question about zone and CNAME

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Fri Apr 5 20:11:22 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-05 12:18, Sam Wilson wrote:
> We're currently prevaricating over putting in an A record for ed.ac.uk.
> Whilst my colleagues who manage active directory assure me that having
> an A record there - pointing at the content-managed web server that has
> difficulty handling arbitrary URLs - won't break anything I'm not going
> to try it except under very controlled conditions and after I've spoken
> to a lot of other people who do it already.

Is ed.ac.uk your Active Directory root as well? If so, my experience is
that pointing it at anything but domain controllers will eventually lead
you to issues.

It's not to say that this totally forbidden, but there is (was?)
Microsoft best practices documents suggesting avoiding this
configuration entirely when possible, although there were ways to
mitigate most of the negative side effects.

Obviously if you can run a split DNS environment this is less of a factor.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/