RPZ and negative answers

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Fri Apr 5 14:04:28 UTC 2013

> From: Torsten Segner <torsten at segner.eu>

> subdomain.domain.de  60 A	172.26.30.231

> The above setting is rewriting NXDOMAIN answers for subdomain.domain.de
> to the above IP address while every other host still has the information
> of the customers outside zone.
>
> Am I doing something substantially wrong here RPZ wise?

If it works the way you want it to work, then you're probably
not doing anything wrong.

In any case, I'm all wet and all wrong.  That example with
subdomain.domain.de works for me too when I add it to a test
zone.  (It might also be necessary to list *.subdomain.domain.de.)
I don't know what I did to make the test I tried fail.

Besides, when trying to rewrite based on names, the code uses the
current state of query name (possibly along a CNAME chain) or
ns.name, the name of a relevant name server.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com