Simple question about zone and CNAME

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Apr 5 09:23:18 UTC 2013

On 04/05/2013 10:13 AM, Thomas Manson wrote:

> @  IN CNAME somehost.com

Correct. CNAMEs are mutually exclusive with other records (DNSSEC
signatures excepted) and zone apex requires SOA and NS.

  <http://somehost.com>

> How can I achive this configuration ?

You will have to use an A record. Our DNS system allows "CNAME" at zone
apex, but it resolves it to A/AAAA records when building the DNS zone.

> Is there another way to specify the address of http://mysite.com ?
>
> I would like to avoid pointing on an IP adress directly as I'm managing

Can't be avoided.

> a few hundred of domain and among them, I don't manage some domain of
> some client, which is then very painful and time consuming to make them
> do some change.

Automate the zone editing, as above.