No subject

Tue Apr 2 00:56:56 UTC 2013

Shawn:

We have the same setup here.

You will have a "db.domain" file (or whatever you call your zone file)
somewhere in your named.conf.

Include in this db.domain all IP address that you want to have resolve
as part of your domain.  It matters not that you don't own the IP
space.  Just go ahead and include them.

Where you will get into a problem is with the PTR lookups.  The group
that owns the IP space may have to delegate the specific IPs to your
name servers.  Use RFC 2317 for info on how to set this up.  Or use the
DNS cookbook from Cricket.

For example, www.cadence.com resolves to 192.203.56.67...  One of our
partners has a web site that we want to include in our web servers
pages.  We put in a link that points to metis.cadence.com (my
workstation).  metis is assigned IP address 64.58.123.121 by the actual
'owner'.

I include

metis.cadence.com.  IN A 64.58.123.121

in my db.Cadence.com zone.  (I use a $INCLUDE directive so that all
'odd-ball' IPs are in one place.)

Hope this helps.

> Thank you.
>
> Shawn

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin