No subject

Tue Apr 2 00:56:56 UTC 2013

C)
	(envelope-from news at google.com)
	by trinity.supernews.net with esmtp (Exim 4.20)
	id 19s2px-0006Fr-Jc
	for comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org; Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:07:57
 +0000 Received: from sjmm36.sj.google.com (sjmm36.prod.google.com
 [10.6.39.36]) by proxy.google.com (8.12.8/8.12.8) with ESMTP id
 h7RG7SMD022740
	for <comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org>; Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:07:28
 -0700 Received: (from news at localhost)
	by sjmm36.sj.google.com (8.12.9/8.12.9) id h7RG7SIh028696
	for comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org; Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:07:28
 -0700 To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
From: seals at dnsboss.com (Morris Seals)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dns.bind
Subject: Re: Mirroring DNS masters
Date: 27 Aug 2003 09:07:27 -0700
Sender: bind-users-bounce at isc.org

Dan,
     Yes this is an EXCELLENT idea!  The reason this is
such a great idea is that if you lose a server, you can
still do updates on the remaining server.  Also, you
don't have to worry about your primary and secondary
servers getting out of sync.  I would consider adding
one additional step to your configuration.  Check
the status code of the restart of named for errors before
you do your rdist.  This way you only push if there are
zero errors.  This is something that is automatically done
in a highly recommended 'Staging/Failover' configuration.
 If your site is large enough, you can add a hidden staging
server where updates are done to prevent your clients
from ever seeing bad DNS data.

=2DMorris Seals
 DNS Boss Inc.
 http://www.dnsboss.com