No subject

Tue Apr 2 00:56:56 UTC 2013

"If you specifiy that there can be three versions, BIND 8 will keep
around <file>, <file.0>, <file.1> and <file.2>.  After the name server
starts or after it is restarted by a HUP signal, it will move <file.1>
to <file.2>, <file.0> to <file.1>, <file> to <file.0>, and start a new
copy of <file>.  If you specify unlimited versions, BIND 8.1.2 will
keep 99 versions.

"If you specify a maximum file size, BIND 8 will stop writing to the
file after it reaches the specified size.  Unlike the versions clause
(mentioned in the last paragraph), the file will not be rolled over
and a new file opened when the specified size is reached.  The name
server just stops writing to the file."

In order to get the behavior you want, you'll need to use something
from cron to send a HUP signal to named in order to get the log file
rollover, something that may or may not be a good idea (I'll let those
better versed in BIND then I to field that one).

-Mike
--
Michael Steeves				|	Phone:  617-577-6000
michael_steeves at vpharm.com		|	Fax:	617-577-6105