How to Download and Install Nsupdate from BIND 9 Package

Spain, Dr. Jeffry A. spainj at countryday.net
Mon Sep 24 18:10:38 UTC 2012

> Please tell me how to download and install Nsupdate from BIND 9 to run on an Windows XP client?

1. Download http://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.9.1-P3/BIND9.9.1-P3.zip.
2. Expand the archive and run BINDInstall.exe.
3. Verify and change the target directory according to your preference.
4. Check the box "Tools Only" and uncheck all the other boxes.
5. Click Install.
6. On successful completion, click OK. Then click Exit.
7. On Windows 7 x64, if you left the target directory as C:\Windows\System32\dns, the software will have been installed in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dns instead. Not sure about Windows XP. You might consider upgrading from that OS when you can.

Nsupdate.exe is one of the utilities installed by default. You may want to copy over some others manually from the installer directory (where you found BINDInstall.exe). For example, dnssec-*.exe, named-*.exe, and perhaps others that you see there.

Jeffry A. Spain
Network Administrator
Cincinnati Country Day School