Should Root Servers Always be Queried First? bind9.7.7

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Nov 7 18:12:56 UTC 2012

If I do:

dig @localhost +short +trace somehost.okstate.edu

on a server authoritative for the okstate.edu domain, I would
expect resolution via that authoritative system. I do get it but
the query takes the scenic route and I get all the root name
servers just as if the query was for some host outside our
domains.

	Why? We are having issues with random latency right now
so I started checking everything I could and that is how I
discovered this. I don't know if that is normal or not