Delegations

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Thu Nov 1 10:56:05 UTC 2012

In article <mailman.564.1351726720.11945.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> In message <5091ADEF.1040400 at dougbarton.us>, Doug Barton writes:
> > On 10/31/2012 03:56 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > > You are equating a practice that was techically wrong, and known
> > > to be wrong from the get go, with one that has never been techically
> > > wrong.
> >
> > Yes, I'm making exactly the same judgment that typical users make. "It
> > works, so it must be Ok."
> >
> > The fact that we ("experts") can get away with something, whether it's
> > technically right/wrong/indifferent not withstanding, doesn't mean that
> > it's good advice for the average user.
> >
> > Doug
>
> Putting in delegations where they are not needed introduces additional
> work and more places that can go wrong.

And also (he said very quietly indeed after delurking) increases the
granularity of management.  Being able to reload or work on a small
(sub)zone rather than a large one can have advantages, which of course
have to be balanced with the extra effort involved in setting such a
system up.  YPYMAYTYP.

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.