logging to syslog on another host?

Jaco Lesch jacol at saix.net
Wed May 30 10:50:26 UTC 2012

Sten

The syslog daemon on the machine where BIND runs on will send the syslog
messages to the central syslog server. So you need to configure your
syslog.conf file to send the facility that BIND uses, normaly daemon, to
the remote syslog server.

The syslog.conf on Solaris looks something like this:
# logging to remote syslog server
daemon.info            @syslog.domain.com
# send to local file on server
daemon.info            /var/log/messages

Hope this helps.

Regards

On 30/05/2012 12:16, Sten Carlsen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was considering to use the syslog on a different host for logging
> from bind. The purpose was to collect logs from various places into
> one repository.
>
> This is not a busy installation so performance is not expected to be a
> problem.
>
> I looked in the arm but could not see where I could put the
> IP/hostname of the host to receive the syslog.
>
> Question:
> Can bind send its logging output to an external syslog?
> If it can, what is needed in terms of version etc.? How to put this
> into log statement?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Best regards