different between views and having multiple instances

Mike Hoskins michoski at cisco.com
Thu May 24 18:52:03 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Amira Othman <a.othman at cairosource.com>
Date: Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:04 AM
To: <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
Subject: different between views and having multiple instances

>Hi all
>
>I need to understand the difference between configuring bind views and
>having multiple instances of bind. I have 5 network interfaces on my
>server
>and I want to have 2 instances of DNS server (just for testing) and I
>don't
>know which one to do ?

i'm sure others will chime in with additional detail, but i think it's
largely a matter of your needs and level of paranoia.  if you are
separating authoritative and caching functions, do you trust software to
institute that policy or do you want to have physical segregation?

i use views extensively now, and haven't had any issues...  but have gone
the physical route in the past (particularly before views existed).
however, when i did that i actually had entirely different servers on
disparate networks hosting the internal and external instances of bind.

the other thing is if your testing needs to stop/start named for some
reason, it might be less impactful to run separate instances.  however, if
you run 'rndc' you will see that many of the commands can be ran in a
manner that only affects specified views.

historically there were also performance considerations, but i think those
are mostly moot with all the tuning in recent releases.

if it's all on one server, views probably make sense...