Operation cancelled Error

Jeremy C. Reed jreed at isc.org
Thu May 24 12:54:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012, Ben wrote:

> > version: 9.7.3-P3-RedHat-9.7.3-8.P3.el6_2.2
> > CPUs found: 8
> > worker threads: 8
> > number of zones: 19
> > debug level: 0
> > xfers running: 0
> > xfers deferred: 0
> > soa queries in progress: 0
> > query logging is ON
> > recursive clients: 6400/29900/30000
> > tcp clients: 0/100
> > server is up and running
> >

> > i constanly watch rndc status command , and at recuresive-clients tab ,
> > first values increases maximum up to 6000-6500, why it is not going to
> > maximum which i define 30000..?

I don't know why it never reached the maximum. resperf should try to
scale up to attempting 100,000 questions in its last second. (At 60th
second I think; the final 40 seconds is waiting for responses.) It only
tries 74038 during its total time, but I am not sure what is limiting
it.

Maybe your datafile is not unique enough? Maybe your source port range
is not large enough? So then BIND 9 is matching existing requests and
dropping.

It depends a lot on the dataset. (I think I have seen around 17,000
queries with resperf and as low as 236 qps -- in this case it was
depending on number of ACLs.)

I don't know why you have the burst of "operation canceled". (The
ISC_R_CANCELED can happen from different problems.)

> > rndc status shows 8 worker process, when i checked  by pgrep named , it
> > shows only single instance.so does it need to show 8 instance or ?

8 worker threads is different than 8 processes.

> > Currently we use bind as caching name server , so why rndc status shows
> > number of zones 19..?

The 19 zones are built-in zones. (See the ARM for the list.)

By the way, to set some comparison maximum baseline you can try having
resperf query the built-in zones. (It won't be real recursive work, but
should show you some potential maximum qps.)

  Jeremy C. Reed
  ISC