Bind9.9.1 Dependences

Spain, Dr. Jeffry A. spainj at countryday.net
Tue May 22 16:37:33 UTC 2012

> How can I find out which Unix files/libraries bind requires before I do the compile?

I have successfully built Bind 9.9.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin). Since Ubuntu comes with a previous version of the Bind 9 utilities installed, I uninstall the following packages:
apt-get purge bind9-host dnsutils libbind9-80 libdns81 libisc83 libisccc80 libisccfg82 liblwres80

To be able to build bind9, I install the following tools for building software packages:
apt-get install build-essential autoconf libtool pkg-config

Bind9 has a dependency on OpenSSL:
apt-get install libssl-dev

After that you should be able to download Bind 9.9.1, configure, make, and make install. See bind-9.9.1/README for info on options to configure.

Hopefully this provides some general guidance regardless of distribution. I have a script and some ancillary files that I can send you if you are in fact using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Jeffry A. Spain
Network Administrator
Cincinnati Country Day School