Checking for zone expiration?

Mark Pettit pettit at yahoo-inc.com
Mon May 21 22:53:15 UTC 2012

On May 21, 2012, at 2:02 PM, Mike Hoskins wrote:

> as usual there is more than one way to skin a cat...  another
> network-based way that doesn't involve local mtime checks would be
> querying the master soa from your monitoring host, and then hitting each
> slave on port 8080 (or whatever) via statistics-channels (if you enable
> it) as mentioned earlier on the list.  the statistics view returns xml you
> can parse which includes the zones and serials for each zone in each view
> on the slave.

I have not tried this, so pardon me if I misunderstand, but getting the zones and serials from each zone on a slave does not help you determine if a zone is about to expire.

If a zone doesn't change for two years, the serial will never change.  But the refresh timer will expire over and over, and each time the zone must be refreshed.  The only guaranteed way I know of to determine whether or not it's been refreshed is to check the mtime on the zone file on the slave.