Clarification on wildcard falls into glue records

Alexander Gurvitz alex at net-me.net
Tue May 15 14:08:39 UTC 2012

You should NOT get A records. Wildcard works only for hostnames
that have NO records of ANY type.

>From wikipedia:
To quote RFC 1912, "A common mistake is thinking that a wildcard
 MX for a zone will apply to all hosts in the zone. A wildcard MX will
 apply only to names in the zone which aren't listed in the DNS at all.
" That is, if there is a wild card MX for *.example.com, and an
A record (but no MX record) for www.example.com, the correct
response (as per RFC 1034) to an MX request for www.example.com
 is "no error, but no data"; this is in contrast to the possibly expected
 response of the MX record attached to *.example.com.

Regards,
Alexander,
net-me.net