Inline Signing does not update SOA?

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:37:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Spain, Dr. Jeffry A.
<spainj at countryday.net> wrote:
>> When I update the SOA record of the master zone file, if I reload the zone with "rndc reload", the SOA record is updated. If I perform a stop/start of the named executable, the SOA change is not updated.
>
> Ralph: There was a lot of discussion about this issue on the bind forum around the first of the year. My recollection is that with inline-signing enabled, stopping named, editing the zone file, and restarting named isn't a supported method of updating zone data. I am aware of two supported options: 1) as you did above, edit the zone file and run 'rndc reload', 2) use 'nsupdate'. Others will probably recall this in more detail and more accurately. Regards, Jeff.

I believe that the "official" answer is that you need to use rndc to
freeze the zone, edit the zone file, and thaw the zone. You really
can't edit a zone that is subject to any operation that makes use of
journal files (dynamic updates, in-line signing) while the zone may be
changing during the edit.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com