dynamic update to SOA records

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 1 14:36:48 UTC 2012

On May 1 2012, Phil Mayers wrote:

>On 01/05/12 11:20, cloud cache wrote:
>>
>> But, how will I know the current serial number of the zone, if the zone
>> has been changing frequently?
>
>In the past, I've used a script that queries the SOA just before doing
>the update (which is safe, because in a race condition you'll be "too
>low" and fail)

Our regular DNS changes (via [scripted] nsupdate) always add the SOA
explicitly (it's going to change anyway, after all), setting the serial
to the Unix time(2) value. BIND may have been incrementing the serial
itself as a result of re-signing activity, but we assume it hasn't
been doing so as often as once a second...

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk