Convice Bind to listen on IP alias with a range of IPs.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 1 12:38:29 UTC 2012

In article <mailman.631.1335844450.63724.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Larry Brower <lbrower at hostgator.com> wrote:

> On 04/30/2012 07:13 PM, Augie Schwer wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply, please see my previous e-mail about the address
> > being perfectly pingable on that interface.
> >

> Whats that have to do with anything? It being pingable only means
> something is responding for it. This does NOT mean it is on THAT
> specific server. If it is not on THAT server then bind cant use it.

It's the loopback network. What other server could it be?

As others pointed out, this is apparently a Linux extension to the
loopback interface -- giving it a wider subnet mask automatically
aliases the other addresses in the range.  But this is done in a way
that BIND can't take advantage of through the normal socket calls.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA