reverse dns for IPV6 ranges

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Mon Mar 12 21:28:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, hugo hugoo wrote:
> Has anyone else experience with reverse IPV6 configuration with Bind?

We do static PTR records in the ip6.arpa zones like we do in the in-addr.arpa
zones, to create address->name mappings matching the name->address mappings
created by the AAAA & A records.

I fairly recently started fiddling with wildcard PTR records for DHCPv6
address pools, to at least return some answer for a query about the
addresses.  Right now I have it configured so that a query for any address in
any of the pools returns the same name, but it could be changed to return
different names for different pools.  This obviously doesn't create symmetric
name->address & address->name mapping, which might or might not be a problem.
I don't have enough real use of this to know whether this wildcard stuff is
helpful or not.