RFC 6303 and bind 9.9.0

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Thu Mar 1 04:21:04 UTC 2012

> Just for clarification, do I understand correctly that if none of the
> empty zones described in RFC 6303 are set up explicitly in the bind 9.9.0
> configuration file, then bind 9.9.0 will process them as such anyway
> using built-in generic zone processing rules?

Yes.  To expand a bit on Mark's answer, all of the namespaces covered by
RFC 6303 have built-in empty zones in BIND 9.9, and these zones are
activated by default in any view that supports recursion.  No
configuration should be necessary.

If you want to set up reverse DNS for a private network in a nonroutable
address space, you can go ahead and do so; zones that you configure
override the built-in zones.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.