Reverse zones best practices

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Jun 28 07:56:19 UTC 2012

On 26.06.12 11:07, Brad Bendily wrote:
>Personally, I'd rather edit 1 file, than hundreds of different files.

and when you make a mistake in one file, you will f*ck up everything
instead of one /24 subnet

>I can add the DNS entry and IP address and reload the service. No trying to
>figure out which file it goes in. I try to keep the file in alphabetical order
>which makes finding and adding entries easier.

alphabetical? If you want to make finding easier, you should use
numeric order for reverse zones. Unless you want to search for RDATA,
but don't care about duplicates...

(the best is to have records in the database, so you can sort according
to anything you need)
One OS to bring them all and into darkness bind them